Law Office of

Para Español

Visa Bulletin


Frequently Asked Questions
Q.        I am a U.S. citizen and I want to file for permanent residence (green card) for members of my
            family. Whom can I petition for?
A.        A U.S. citizen can petition for a spouse and minor, unmarried child. You can also petition for
            your parents, married or single adult sons or daughters (21 years old or older) and siblings, but
            you must be at least 21 years old.
Q.        I have been a permanent resident for many years, but my English is not that good. When can I
            take my citizenship test in Spanish?    
A.        If you are at least 50 years old and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years, or 55
            years old and have been a permanent resident for 15 years, you can take the citizenship test in
Q.        Who are the persons who fall in the different preferences or categories for family based visas?
A.         Immigration has four basic preferences or categories for beneficiaries filing for residence through family relationship. They are as follows:
            1st        unmarried adult children (21 years or older) of a U.S. Citizen;
            2A         spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of a permanent resident
            2B         unmarried adult children (21 years or older) of a permanent resident;
            3rd        married son or daughter of a U.S. Citizen;
            4th        brothers or sisters (married or single) of a U.S. Citizen.
             Make sure that you have the correct country in the Visa Bulletin



8107 Broadway, Suite 201, San Antonio, Texas 78209 Tel. (210) 828-5562, Fax (210) 828-4397

  Any information contained herein or on any link is provided solely for information purposes and should not be construed as offering legal advice. J.A. Garcia will not be liable under any circumstances for damages of any nature arising in any way from the use of or reliance on such information. As with any other legal matter, you should consult with an attorney for legal advice.  


webmaster ©